Thursday, September 2, 2010

My first church service...

"Humility is like the string of a rosary, if you break the string then all the beads will fall. Similarly, if you lose your humility then all your other virtues come to naught."

For a supposedly agnostic person, I seem to be participating in a lot of religious events; even if that participation is supposed to be in the capacity of an audience. First it was Onam - where my participation was limited to enjoying the sumptuous fare served up by our gracious host. Next up was attending a church service. I have always found it more alluring to visit a church than a temple. Why? Because churches provide a peaceful and quiet atmosphere that very few places do. They provide a good reprieve from the daily hustle and bustle of a metropolitan city. And of course they are a very good place to read when you want to get out of the claustrophobic atmosphere of your own room. Of course there are other places that provide the same comfort; a park for instance, or a public library. I remember a small temple that was situated not far from a PG accommodation that I used to live in during the first few months of my stay in Bengaluru. It was a very small temple situated just outside an empty plot of land; the kind that they show in Bollywood movies when the hero goes to pray for the life of his mother, or of his girlfriend. It was a Ganesh temple and used to have very few visitors. So the bell got very little exercise which made it much easier to read. But still I would rather spend time in a church than any other place I know of; except for a quite deserted beach of course.

I was first introduced to churches by a friend of mine (a self confessed 'church lurker') when he took me to the St. Thomas Cathedral near Horniman Circle in Churchgate. Ever since then, there have been very few visits to Churchgate without a detour to that church. Likewise, my first few months in Bengaluru were marked with occasional visits to churches - even though I had to walk about 2 kms and take a bus to reach those churches. It wasn't just the excuse of reading that took me to the churches. Part of the reason why I used to visit churches was the exquisite architecture. The magnificent naves, the arched pillars, the stained glass, and the other architectural grandeur make your jaw drop. Even though I have never been too fascinated by architecture, it was difficult not to feel dwarfed by the sheer size and splendor that was on display in these churches. It certainly wasn't any religious or spiritual awakening that drew to towards the church. I believe I am quite hopeless in those particular areas. I must confess that I have never paid too much attention to the visitors who sought sanctuary in the church for spiritual or religious healing, or the choir practice going on, or indeed any other activities that were carried out. I was too busy enjoying a book, or just the solitude that the church afforded.

That's why I wasn't too enthusiastic when I accompanied my friend for mass to the Infant Jesus Church in Viveknagar, Bengaluru. I had visited the church earlier, though not for mass. That visit was purely out of curiosity. And I must say that the church was quite different from some other churches that I have seen. Most churches that I have visited have high arching ceilings as you make your way through the naves. The congregation area is normally flanked by pillars and the walls are either adorned by paintings or sculptures carved into the walls. Another feature that I have seen common among churches is that they are towering. This one was not. Of course, I haven't visited that many churches, hence, it's not fair that I pass a judgment on the architectural nuances of churches. But still what I am presenting is a simple observation of mine. As I said, this church had a lowered ceiling, with a small tower jutting out above the pulpit topped with the holy cross. The inside of a church resembles a semi-circular amphitheatre, with the pulpit in the centre raised on a platform and the benches for the congregation arranged all around it. The wall directly behind the pulpit is covered with a huge painting depicting the birth of Jesus Christ. The huge stained-glass windows show a pictorial depiction of the various stages in the life of Jesus Christ. Directly above the huge painting is a well placed lighting mechanism which lights up the painting bringing it into sharper focus. The rest of the ceiling is lined up with similar lighting as if to depict the rays of light being emitted by a halo. There is one main entrance to the church, which I have never seen open yet, and two small one at either side of the central entrance to let in the visitors. The seating for the congregation starts right near the doors of the church. Apparently, it has a seating capacity of more than 1200 people. 

And this Saturday was the most number of people that I have seen in a church. People were all around the altar, waiting for the service to begin. The choir band was getting warmed up at the head of the congregation. Once the Priest entered, everyone stood up in reverence. He started the service announcing the passages that were to be read that day. The theme was to be 'Humility'. Once the service started, the choir led the congregation into various hymns, all pertaining in some or other way to the central theme of the day. This was followed by the reading of passages by several members of the congregation and the Priest himself. Among the Priest's sermon were anecdotes and sayings pertaining to various famous Christian religious figures. Unfortunately, we had to leave the service mid-way due to time constraints. However, whatever I witnessed certainly piqued my curiosity. And attending a full church service is a new entry on my to-do list.

No comments: